Kazimierz is the second downtown historic district of today's
Krakow besides the Old
Town. It was set up in 1335 as a separate city opposite the then
Poland's capital city of Krakow, situated on the other bank of Wisla
river. In 1495 a fraction of the town was turned into a
Kazimierz has been incorporated into Krakow in 1800 and the old
riverbed separating it from the city center has disappeared before
here in 1079 St. Stanislaw, the bishop of
Krakow, suffered martyrdom. His shrine consists
of a Rococo church of the 18th century with a
adjacent Renaissance monastery of the 17th
church of 1363 at 7 Augustianska street and Skaleczna street
represents Krakow's Gothic
architecture. Adjoining medieval monastery has a
beautiful cloister with fine Renaissance
Corpus Christi church
at 26 Bozego Ciala street and Sw. Wawrzynca street dates from
at 24 Szeroka street dates back to the late 16th century.
It holds a
Jewish Museum in the Old
is a branch of the City of Krakow History
Museum. It shows the history and traditions of
Synagogue of 1644 at 16 Kupa
Synagogue at 36 Jozefa street opened in 1563 on the upper
floor of the home of a Jewish banker.
of circa 1590
at 8 Jonatana Warszauera street and Kupa street was financed by
the Jewish commune to serve the poor.
at 16 Szeroka street was founded by Wolf Popper, a very rich
merchant. Now a
Tempel Synagogue at
24 Miodowa street was built in 1862 by Krakow's
cemetery between Szeroka and Jakuba
streets dates from years
1533 to 1799.
A wall of broken
Jewish gravestones alongside Jakuba street
contains tombstones destroyed by the Nazis.
Plac Wolnica square
was the central
piazza of the city of Kazimierz with its
Renaissance town hall in the middle and also
served as the main marketplace.
Museum of Municipal Engineering
Inzynierii Miejskiej/ at 15 Sw. Wawrzynca
Szeroka street was
the central square and main marketplace of the old Kazimierz
in the 19th century is a center of
Kazimierz's nightlife today.
Heroes Square (Plac Bohaterow Getta) was made a part of the
Ghetto by the Nazis during WW2. The square has
been turned into a
memorial to the holocaust victims.
street was the eastern
perimeter of the medieval