Liban quarry was situated on the edge of the
Krakow concentration camp of Plaszow under the German
occupation of Poland. It's notorious for slave labor of Jewish
as well as Polish prisoners and their martyrdom.
Isaac Synagogue at 16 Kupa Street in the
historic Kazimierz district, one of seven
synagogues in Krakow, dates
High Synagogue at 36 Jozefa street opened in 1563 on the
upper floor of the home of a wealthy Jew in the
Jewish quarter of the city of Kazimierz, now in
Podgorze district's main square,
Rynek Podgorski, once abutted on the Jewish ghetto of World War
2 where the Nazis relocated about 17,000 of Krakow Jews in
Jewish forum of Krakow: Szeroka street
was the heart of the old Kazimierz Jewish quarter as its main
market place and a seat of three rival synagogues.
Krakow's Tempel Synagogue
at 24 Miodowa street was built in 1862 by the city's
Jewish progressives and has remained the venue for religious
services attended by the reformed Jews. The synagogue boasts
rich interior lavishly decorated with gilded ‘Moorish’
runs alongside the eastern limit of the Jewish medieval quarter
at 24 Szeroka street dates from the late 16th century.
The Renaissance edifice replaced its predecessor destroyed by
fire in 1557. In 1961 the Old Synagogue has been turned into a
in the Old Synagogue shows the history and traditions of
Plac Nowy square
was launched in the 19th century as the secondary Jewish
marketplace on the western outskirts of the Kazimierz ghetto.
The round structure in its center was built in 1900 as a kosher
slaughterhouse with butcher's stands. Now surrounded by trendy
cafes the Plac Nowy square has gained notoriety as a hangout for
used to separate the Jewish quarter from the much larger gentile
part of Kazimierz till 1818 thus its original name,
Christian-Jewish street. It has been renamed in 1773
after Emperor Joseph II who annexed Kazimierz to Austria.
Oskar Schindler's Factory
at 4 Lipowa street, confiscated from its prewar Jewish
proprietors, produced enamelware and munitions for the Nazi army
during World War 2. Its wartime owner Oskar Schindler managed to
save about 1,200 Jewish prisoners who worked for him. In 2010
the factory has been turned into two museums. One of them
shows the German occupation and the
holocaust in Krakow. The other is MOCAK - Museum of
Contemporary Art in Krakow.
at 16 Szeroka street was founded by a wealthy merchant Wolf
Popper (Bocian) in 1620. After the WW2 it has been turned into a
at 8 Jonatana Warszauera street and Kupa street dates back to
circa 1590. Financed by the commune (kehilla), it gathered the
poor. The entrance is now on the other side of the Kupa
Sznagogue, at Miodowa street.
A wall of broken
Jewish gravestones lines
Jakuba street. The Nazis wrecked all Jewish cemeteries in Krakow
including the oldest one, Remuh. Shattered tombstones have been
set in the wall of the Remuh cemetery alongside Jakuba street.
cemetery dates from years
1533 to 1799. It stretches between Szeroka and Jakuba streets in
the Jewish quarter of the historical Kazimierz city, now one of
downtown districts of Krakow. The cemetery is famous for
numerous Renaissance and Baroque tombstones and graves of
saintly rabbis as well as great scholars, Moses Isserles among