Krakow's Arts Palace
The Palace of Arts (Polish 'Palac Sztuki') at 4
Plac Szczepanski square was erected in the Old Town historic
district, next to Planty gardens, in 1901 for the Society of
Fine Arts Friends (Stowarzyszenie Przyjaciol Sztuk Pieknych in
Krakow association since 1854. It was the city’s
first Art Nouveau building, albeit inspired by ancient Greek
grand temples. The relief round its outside walls was designed
by famed symbolist painter Jacek Malczewski and represents the
ups and downs of creative process. Apollo’s huge radiant head
tops the front of the building above the monumental entrance.
Sculpture busts in the niches of side walls immortalize noted
Krakow artists of the turn of the 20th century.
The Palace of Arts has remained one of the most prestigious
exhibition venues in the city. Once mostly works of established
value can be seen here yet nowadays purely commercial events
also happen. The latest art is showed just across a narrow
street where a modern exhibition hall, called the
Bunker of Arts, was built in 1965.
Contact info for the Palace of Art in Krakow
Postal address: Stowarzyszenie Przyjaciol Sztuk Pieknych, Plac
Szczepanski 4, 31-011 Krakow, Poland. Phone (+48) 124261107, fax
Krakow’s central Grand Square (Rynek Glowny), the
largest plaza of medieval Europe and one of the world’s finest
with its spectacular landmarks, has remained the hub of the city
since the 13th century.
Bunker of Arts
Bulwark of the newest art.
Japan Culture and Technology Center
Fine example of the world's newest architecture is the
scene of numerous cultural events, and most have something to do
Exhibitions, conferences, and much more.
Poland's cult venue for high-brow entertainment.
Century-old Bohemian hideout in its 1908 Art Noveau
Center for Jewish
19th-century prayer house turned modern cultural venue
safeguards and presents heritage of Poland’s Jews.
Almost perfect Renaissance Italian villa shelters
Krakow's European Academy.